Pharmaceutical name: Herba Gynostemma pentaphyllum
Latin botanical name: Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thumb) Makino
Cantonese Pronunciation: kao ku lan
Common Name: Sweet tea vine, amachazuru
Distribution: South western part of mainland China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia. Yunnan has the largest number of species.
Properties (characteristics) : Bitter, sweet, cold.
Channels (meridians) entered: Lung, spleen and kidney
Actions & Indications: Being used in inflammation, phlegm and cough, hypertension, liver diseases, headache, neuralgia, lower back pain, diabetes, kidney diseases, ulcer of stomach and duodenum, bronchitis, allergenic dermatitis, insomnia, constipation, gall bladder stones.
Present Day Applications:
Treatment of :
1. High lipid level
3. Irregular heat beats of fetuses
4. Chronic atrophic gastritis
5. Thrombocytopenia (low in platelets)
6. Lack of white blood cells
7. For treatment of lack of white cells resulted from chemo or radiation therapy.
8. Folk applications: anti-inflammation, detoxification, stopping cough and expelling phlegm, chronic bronchitis
9. Saponin of jiao gu lan (gypenoside) with added alcohol, some peppermint oil, and glycerine is made into hair protection lotion for preventing white hair.
10. Deodorant: extract of gypenoside with added cane sugar and alcohol, after storing for 2 months, strain, and end product is yellowish green liquid. Taking orally, it can be used for body odor from the armpits.
1. Anti aging effects: improves immune system, promotes growth of the nerve cells, protects and slows the atrophy of brain cells, improve brain activities and memory.
a. prolong the life of cells
b. prolong the life animals
c. the anti aging functions
2. Anti stress
a. anti fatigue
b. resists lack of oxygen
c. resists temperature changes
3. Effects on metabolism :
a. lowers blood pressure
b. lowers blood sugar and improves sugar metabolism
c. improves protein metabolism
4. Improves immune system
5. Improves white blood cell count : A study using Cyclophosphamide and radiated with cobalt 60 to lower the white cells of laboratory rats. Then administered jiao gu lan to the rats. The white cell count improved. It also can improve the engulfing and ingestion of bacteria or other foreign bodies of the phagocytes.
6. Anti-cancer: Inhibits cancer cells of lung, liver, uterus, and melanoma tumor, and it also can help with the therapy of the cancer of the aesophagus, and it especially effective in cases of the stagnation of phlegm.
7. Protects liver form toxin.
8. Prevents platelet coagulation
9. Prevents cardiovascular diseases: Improves blood flow to brain and heart muscles, resists injuries of the heart muscles from lack of blood and oxygen. Lower lipids.
10. Lowers blood sugar
11. Calming effect: Helps sleeping, lessens anxiety.
12. Improves memory
13. Other effects: It possesses the prevention and therapy effect on back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, stiffness of shoulders, chronic bronchitis, asthma, ulcers of the stomach and duodenum, and can lessen the side effect of steroids.
1. Saponins: more than 80 gypenosides including ginsenoside Rg , compound K, 14 alpha-methyl-5 alpha-ergosta-9 [11, 24, 24- dimethyl-5 alpha-cholest-8en--3beta-ol, 24, 24- dimethyl-5 alpha-cholestan-3beta-ol, 24 alpha-ethyl-5alpha-cholestan-3beta-ol.
2. Other ingredients: sugar, vitamins, malonic acid, flavons like: rutin, ombuin; also contains 18 kinds of amino acids and inorganic elements like iron, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, calcium etc.
Do not take during pregnancy or during lactation where the function of bodies of the mothers are cold.